In World War Two when Holland was occupied by nazi-Germany, many members of the resistance were detained in a cell barack on the Van Alkemadelaan at Scheveningen under piteous circumstances. The cell barracks were opened in 1919 and were confiscated by the Nazi forces of occupation for use as prison accommodations following their invasion in May 1940. At that point the cell barracks were nicknamed the Oranjehotel after the Dutch monarchy to denote the resistance fighters held there. The staff initially consisted of civilian prison wardens. Later the cell barracks became the purview of the Sicherheitsdienst. Many prisoners were taken to several concentrationcamps all over Europe. But more than 300 were brought to the nearby dunes and shot there. They left the prison through a small gate, were loaded into a truck and driven to the Waalsdorpervlakte at The Hague. Today thr barracks still remain but were modernized. Only only deathcell 601, where prisoners had to wait for their execution, is unchanged left intact.
Every year in September, a memorial is held, followed by a silent march along cell 601. Wreaths are laid by official authorities and foundations. This year on 25 September 2010 we were there too for the first time. An impressive memorial, with a speach by professor Blom of the NIOD I saw former members of the resistance who were hold in this Scheveningen prison. They were now high of age. It was impressive to listen to the story of some of them.
After the memorial we went to the Waalsdorpervlakte in the dunes.
There is a memorial, crosses on the place were remains were found and a bourbon.
This clock sounds every year in the evening of 4 May, when Holland remembers its
Every year a memorial service at cell 601 is held. This cells is normally
not accessible to the public as it is located within the walls of the prison.
There are plans to demolish the cell baracks but to remain death cell 601 and
the gate as a monument and to make accessible to the public.